Samuel C. Kauffman
Samuel C. Kauffman has over twenty-five years of experience as a criminal defense lawyer in state and federal courts and before administrative agencies. Prior to founding Kauffman Kilberg LLC, Sam chaired the White Collar Defense and Investigations Group at Garvey Schubert Barer.
Sam has extensive experience representing individuals and organizations in a broad range of complex criminal and regulatory matters. He has represented individual and corporate clients in investigations and prosecutions involving alleged antitrust violations, healthcare fraud, environmental enforcement, securities regulation, criminal tax matters, bank and computer fraud, and many other state and federal matters.
- Willamette University College of Law, J.D., 1994
- Colorado State University, B.S., Finance, 1989
- Named by peers to The Best Lawyers in America© in the areas of Criminal Defense: White Collar and Non-White Collar, 2010-2023 ("Lawyer of the Year, Criminal Defense: White-Collar" for 2022)
- Named as Oregon Super Lawyer in White Collar Criminal Defense 2015-2023
- ACLU Foundation of Oregon Civil Liberties Award for pro bono legal services to Guantánamo detainees, 2009
- Garvey Schubert Barer's Dallaire Public Service Award, 2009
- Oregon Chapter of the American Jewish Committee Learned Hand Award for "contributions in the finest tradition of the legal profession," 2006
- Oregon State Bar Disciplinary Board (2015-present)
- Chair, Multnomah Bar Association Solo and Small Firm Committee (2016-2019)
- Chair, Oregon State Bar Criminal Law Section Executive Committee (2012-2013)
- Member, Board of Directors, Multnomah Bar Association (2010-2013)
- Member, Multnomah Bar Association Professionalism Committee, 2002-2004
- Member, Board of Directors, Oregon Lawyers Against Hunger, 2002-2009
- Member, Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Oregon, 1994
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, 2007
- United States Supreme Court, 2010
Represented corporations, corporate officers and employees in criminal antitrust investigations.
Defended healthcare organizations, doctors and professionals in healthcare fraud investigations.
Admiralty and Maritime Environmental Criminal Defense
Defended international shipping companies and officers regarding alleged MARPOL, APPS and other criminal violations.
Corporate Internal Investigations
Extensive experience conducting and coordinating corporate internal investigations.
Defended companies, officers and individuals against allegations of bank and mortgage fraud.
Defense of Law Enforcement Officials
Defended federal, state and local law enforcement officers and corrections officials regarding allegations of criminal misconduct.
Environmental Criminal Investigations and Prosecutions
Defended corporations and individuals under investigation for possible criminal violations of environmental laws, including RCRA, the Clean Water Act and Clean Air Act.
National Security Cases
Defended individuals against charges involving national security, the dissemination of classified information and the violation of import/export laws and regulations.
Representation of Public Figures Regarding Criminal and Ethical Misconduct
Defended politicians, professional athletes, and other public figures regarding allegations of criminal and ethical misconduct.
Responding to Grand Jury Subpoenas
Assisted numerous corporate and individual clients with responding to and challenging federal and state grand jury subpoenas.
Defended individuals against allegations of federal and state tax fraud.
Tribal Regulatory and Criminal Matters
Defended officers of Native American owned businesses regarding regulatory and federal criminal matters.
Traditional Criminal Defense
Represented many clients charged with person or property crimes, including Murder, assault, domestic violence and sex crimes.
Professional License Defense and Administrative Litigation
Assisted doctors, lawyers and other professionals licensed by the state in administrative disciplinary proceedings and related litigation.